Death on deletion attempts (was: Current sources?)

From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail(at)Hamartun(dot)Priv(dot)NO>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp, dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould), scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Death on deletion attempts (was: Current sources?)
Date: 1998-05-25 03:45:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp writes:

> I have tested the s_lock_test and seems it is working. However I
> have lots of failure with various SQL's including 'drop database',
> 'delete from'.

I'm seeing the same thing Tatsuo-san does.  This is on NetBSD/sparc
1.3, GCC, running the very latest anonCVS-fetched PostgreSQL.
Haven't run regression tests -- assume they would fail horribly.  The
installation was done from scratch, including an 'initdb' run.

Interestingly, a 'delete from' will kill the backend even if it has a
'where' clause that does not match anything whatsoever, but a 'drop
table' is fine, including non-empty tables.  Brief testing of 'insert'
and 'select' show them working, including joins, as do transactions
using 'begin', 'commit' and 'abort'.

Any idea where to start looking?

Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"