Re: CMS - portal server Question

From: Mark Matthews <mem(at)object-craft(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CMS - portal server Question
Date: 2006-08-25 10:33:32
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-generalpgsql-jdbc
On 25/08/2006, at 7:07 PM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:

> Hi,
> i am thinking of deploying a CMS system for our corporate web server.
>
> I have seen/installed/tested :
>
> Jboss Portal : Seeems good and standards complying but too unstable
> Apache Lenya : Very unstable - could not get it to any useful work
> Php-nuke     : (despite our favor towards java, this seems stable
> but not what
> we want)
> OpenCMS      : Very stable but not so open source - some one has to
> pay to get
> anything more than the basic
>
> Practically from just browsing and using google one could conclude
> that there
> are 10ths of
> open source tools that do content management.
> Also it is impractical to install even 10% of them.
> Moreover web articles/reviews/comparisons rarely give anything but
> biased
> views.
>
> So since i think that our type of need falls in the same big family
> as the
> ones
> working in the unix/PostgreSQL/java world i would like to ask you
> about your
> experience
> in this field.
>
> Since we dont consider interfering with the DB backend in our
> immediate future
> intentions, MySQL will be just as good for us.
> Ofcourse i prefer postgresql for our applications, but if lets say
> opencms
> started supporting postgresql just a month ago, then postgresql
> will not be
> as strong a candidate in that case.
>
> In the same sense java is prefered over PHP, since we dont intent
> to interfere
> with CMS code, but if some killer PHP app does the job, then it
> will be the
> one selected.
>
> Thanx
>
> Achilleas Mantzios.

Try plone.

http://plone.org/ Fantastic CRM system.

I realise you have a preference for Java/PHP but this is well worth a
look. Python is a great language to work with - very powerful.

"By default, Plone stores its contents in Zope's built in
transactional object database, the ZODB. There are products and
techniques, however, to share information with other sources, such as
relational databases, LDAP, filesystem files, etc." from http://
plone.org/about/plone

Good luck

Mark Matthews