Re: maintenance_work_mem and autovacuum

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: maintenance_work_mem and autovacuum
Date: 2009-03-26 21:29:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
--On Donnerstag, März 26, 2009 13:43:45 -0700 Josh Berkus
<josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> I actually have a client who does both automated and manual vacuums.
> Having two settings would definitely be convenient for them.

I often found people doing this running within a) their own superuser with
special GUCs set or b) using their own scripts which are setting
maintenance_work_mem accordingly.

Often people are very confused about the number of *_vaccum_* settings
already present: they sometimes have a really hard time to learn the
difference between manual and auto vaccum and the interaction of
default/inherited settings.

That said, having a separate setting would be consequent, but it seems to
me it's enough there to satisfy all needs, isn't it?

--
  Thanks

                    Bernd