Re: Outer joins and Seq scans

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sami Dalouche <skoobi(at)free(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Outer joins and Seq scans
Date: 2007-10-28 22:08:34
Lists: pgsql-performance
Sami Dalouche <skoobi(at)free(dot)fr> writes:
> So, what could prevent postgrs from using the index ?

You've carefully withheld all the details that might let us guess.
If I had to guess anyway, I'd guess this is a pre-8.2 PG release
that doesn't know how to rearrange outer joins, but there are any
number of other possibilities.

If you want useful help on a query planning issue, you generally need
to provide
	- the exact Postgres version
	- full schema declaration of the relevant tables
	- exact queries tested
	- full EXPLAIN ANALYZE output
With less info than that, people are just shooting in the dark.