Re: How PostgreSQL handles multiple DDBB instances?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: arnaulist(at)andromeiberica(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How PostgreSQL handles multiple DDBB instances?
Date: 2007-05-25 14:24:40
Lists: pgsql-performance
Arnau <arnaulist(at)andromeiberica(dot)com> writes:
>    I have an application that works with multiple customers. Thinking in
> scalability we are thinking in applying the following approaches:

>    - Create a separate database instance for each customer.
>    - We think that customer's DB will be quite small, about 200MB as
> average.
>    - The number of clients, then DDBB, can be significant(thousands).
>    - Have as many customers as possible on the same server, so a single
> server could have more than 300 DDBB instances.

This is probably a bad idea, unless each customer's performance demands
are so low that you can afford to use very small shared-memory settings
for each instance.  But even small settings will probably eat ~10MB per
instance --- can you afford to build these machines with multiple GB of

Can you instead run things with one postmaster per machine and one
database per customer within that instance?  From a performance
perspective this is likely to work much better.

If you desire to give the customers database-superuser capability then
this probably won't do, but if they are restricted users it might be OK.