Re: relation 12345 is still open

From: Johannes Bruegmann <johannes(at)jottbee(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: relation 12345 is still open
Date: 2007-02-12 16:51:16
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello Novices,
hello Tom,

>>> What this probably means is that there is an active query somewhere
>>> within your session that is referencing that table --- such as an
>>> unclosed cursor or unfinished plpgsql FOR-in-SELECT loop.
>
>> Thank you very much for your prompt answer.
>
>>> I don't see any such thing in the functions you showed us, but look
>>> around in the rest of your application.
>
>> I couldn't see anything either, but it has to be in the code i
>> showed. Because if I implement it the way like [1], everything is
>> working fine.
>
> Hmm.  Well, it could be a bug --- something hanging onto a relation
> reference that it shouldn't have.  What PG version are you using
> exactly?  Can you put together a self-contained test case, that is
> a SQL script someone else could run to duplicate the error?

I use PG version 8.1.6 on FreeBSD 6.1-p11/i386. I've attached a script
which reproduces the error message, which is hopefully what you want.

May I ask, how long the relation is allowed "to be open"? Is it until
the end of a statement? Does EXECUTE start a seperate transaction?

Best Regards,
Johannes