backup server - how to disconnect

From: "Mark Steben" <msteben(at)autorevenue(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: backup server - how to disconnect
Date: 2008-10-15 14:11:58
Lists: pgsql-admin
We have a server that backups and then recreates our production database on
a nightly basis

In order to drop and recreate the database we would stop and restart the
server - this would

Effectively kick off any straggling users so we could get our refresh done.
No problem.

Now we have more than one database and stopping and restarting the server to
clean up

The backup database would also kill any process going on in the new
database.

Is there a command in postgres to disconnect all users short of restarting

The server?  I looked at pg_ctl kill TERM but there I would need to

Specify specific PIDs.  Not something I want to do manually at 1 am every
morning.

We are at postgres 8.2.5.  Thanks for your help

 <mailto:autoenthusiasts(at)autorevenue(dot)com?subject=Feedback> Committed to
Creating @utoEnthusiasts. Please provide us with your feedback.

  _____

Mark Steben│Database Administrator│  <http://www.autorevenue.com/>
@utoRevenueT
95 Ashley Ave. West Springfield, MA., 01089
413-243-4800 x1512 (Phone) │ 413-732-1824 (Fax)

A Division of Dominion Enterprises

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Emmanuel BERTHOULEDate: 2008-10-15 20:10:24