Problem with PostgreSQL: unable to connect to database

From: "Cheah Ai Meng" <aimeng(dot)cheah(at)nus(dot)edu(dot)sg>
To: "Pgsql-Cygwin" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem with PostgreSQL: unable to connect to database
Date: 2003-01-16 09:34:12
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi PostgreSQL folks!

I'm having problems in connecting my PostgreSQL database to the server.
I'm using PostgreSQL 7.3 and pgAdmin II 1.4. This is the situation:

1. At the Cygwin window,

eng91066(at)ENG91066 ~
$ initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"eng91066".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

initdb: The directory /usr/local/pgsql/data exists but is not empty.
If you want to create a new database system, either remove or empty the
directory /usr/local/pgsql/data or run initdb with an argument other
than /usr/local/pgsql/data.

eng91066(at)ENG91066 ~
$ /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -o -i -l logfile start
postmaster successfully started

2. However, at pgAdmin window, when I tried to connect to the server,
this is what I did:

Connect to Server
Server: localhost
Port: 5432
Username: aiming
Password: *******
Clicked on "Connect"

And this is the response that I got:

An error has occurred in pgAdmin II:frmConnect.cmdConnect_Click:
Number= -2147467259
Could not connect to remote socket.

Does anyone encounter this too? What was wrong? Please advice.

Regards,
Aiming