RE: THE Postgres WEB SITE

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'The Hermit Hacker'" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: "'Byron Nikolaidis'" <byron(dot)nikolaidis(at)home(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Jeff MacDonald <jeff(at)hub(dot)org>, Peter Mount <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
Subject: RE: THE Postgres WEB SITE
Date: 1999-11-12 15:33:15
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

<snip>

> Jeff has been working on cleaning up the User Gallery listing
> to get rid
> of the cruft...but...
>
> If I were to sit down this weekend and write up an
> "Applications" listings
> page, what fields should be included? This is the biggest
> problem I have
> with doing this, I never know what all should be included :(
>
> If someone wants to make me a form that looks good and is
> complete, I'll
> do up the backend coding and setup the databases for this...I
> can write
> code, but I'm *terrible* at doing visuals ...

How automated would this be? I would suggest that all updates to the listing
are done by yourself (or whoever else may be a PostgreSQL webmaster) and
that any form on the site is merely a mail form. This way all the
'Applications' (as opposed to systems that are specific to a particular user
or site) can be listed in a standardised format, have any links verified and
be generally checked for suitability for inclusion.

I see this section as being a listing of quality applications rather than a
list that anyone can add their two field address book to (no offence toward
any address book vendors intended!).

Suggested fields:

Application Name
Application Function (eg. Financial Ledger, Helldesk etc.)
Application Description
Platform(s) (Win32, Solaris etc.)
Written In (Visual Basic, TCL etc.)
Interface (ODBC, JDBC etc.)