I'd like to post an opportunity for a PostgreSQL Database Architect with
MessageOne in Austin, TX.
11044 Research Blvd
Building C, Fifth Floor
Austin, TX 78759
(512) 652-4500 x315 (office)
PostgreSQL Database Architect
Do you love working with databases? Do you find huge data sets a
challenge, not a headache? If so, then this could be the job for you.
This is your opportunity to help build what will become one of the
largest, most distributed instances of Postgres in the world.
MessageOne, the fastest growing company in the business continuity
industry, is looking for a PostgreSQL database architect. You will be
collaborating with a small, bright engineering team to ensure that our
database design takes our software where it needs to go in terms of
scale, cost, availability, and manageability. We are looking for someone
that is technically deep in database design as well as an outstanding
communicator who can draw on the technical expertise, available data,
internal relationships and influence to move the database architecture
Immediate initiatives would include:
* Design and configure global high availability strategy for
MessageOne's Postgres databases to continue to achieve uptime goals
* Define and implement maintenance procedures including Disaster
Recovery and DB maintenance (VACUUM scheduling)
* Develop back-up and recovery procedures, including testing
back-ups and data integrity
* Design and implement measurement systems to assess service
delivery and key performance indicators of critical applications.
* Provide direction in capacity planning, performance
improvements, and storage management in partnership with Operations and
* Build data warehouse of application usage information to support
This position, effectively executed, will leave a lasting impact on
MessageOne's business as our user base is expected to see large growth
over the next couple of years.
* Gather requirements - the successful candidate must be able to
work outside of immediate team to help identify, vet and winnow database
related requirements of software systems in use or development by
MessageOne. Requirements gathering will include bringing your deep
technical knowledge of the inner workings of Postgres database systems
and how they scale to the design aspects of the conversation, helping
engineering teams think through possible solutions.
* Document requirements - prepare succinct documentation of
business, functional and technical requirements and impacts to systems.
* Communicate requirements - be able to present these requirements
to different audiences: managers and technical experts to ensure that
the requirements are correct and understood.
* Establish coding standards for database applications and acquire
buy in towards these standards from database developers and application
developers whose code touches databases
* Project management - be able to create detailed project plans,
follow through on requirements, collaborate with technical teams to
create and adhere to a schedule, and communicate status.
* Communications skills - must be able to communicate at multiple
levels within the organization - have the ability to persuade those
around you, as needed to accomplish your tasks
* Credibility - the successful candidate will establish technical
and business credibility quickly and leverage this credibility to keep
MessageOne databases and database systems many months ahead of the
growth curve, more often by means other than acquiring more storage and
* Data Driven Decision Making - the successful candidate will have
a passion for making data driven decisions. The candidate will help put
in place systems to gather data around database performance, scale and
utilization to feed the requirements processes.
* Grasp the bigger picture - the successful candidate will see
beyond the immediacy of disk, CPU or application and be able to
contextualize and communicate the tradeoffs in database architecture and
its impact on application requirements and development
* Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
* 5+ years PostgreSQL design and architecture experience
* Keeps up with the PostgreSQL community - stays current regarding
the new PostgreSQL features, or new tools that makes life easier
* Comfortable working with an open-source UNIX software stack
* 2+ years experience working in a high-uptime, 24x7x365 database
* Knowledge of a modern (Python/Ruby/Perl) scripting language
pgsql-jobs by date
|Next:||From: Steven Jenkins||Date: 2007-07-27 14:19:21|
|Subject: Unix Systems Programmer at End Point|
|Previous:||From: Anna Antosiewicz||Date: 2007-07-20 14:59:24|
|Subject: still looking for DBA - Philadelphia Area|