Re: [INTERFACES] win32 libpq version is "too new"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: nico(at)clubdelphi(dot)com, pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] win32 libpq version is "too new"
Date: 1999-04-27 15:17:03
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> I beleive there is none. At least not native Win32. There were major changes
> required to libpq to make it possible to run it under Win32, and these
> changes appeared in 6.4.
> It would be possible to do it for 6.3, but it would require a huge amount of
> work. The pre-6.4 libpq client used fdopen() and then the fxxx() operations
> on the sockets. This does not work under Win32. 6.4 started using the direct
> send() and recv() calls, which are portable to Windows.

Ah, I had forgotten that connection. Yup, it was all the same rewrite
of libpq that both made it dependent on the new-for-6.4 protocol and
converted it to use direct socket calls. When I did that I had no idea
I was making it practical to port the library to Windows ;-) --- that
was a pleasant side-effect.

So it may be that indeed there is no DLL available for 6.3. Sorry...