Re: Guidelines for upgrading from pgsql7.4.xxx server to

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Travers <chris(at)verkiel(dot)metatrontech(dot)com>
Cc: Luki Rustianto <lukirus(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Guidelines for upgrading from pgsql7.4.xxx server to
Date: 2006-03-29 04:29:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris Travers <chris(at)verkiel(dot)metatrontech(dot)com> writes:
> Luki Rustianto wrote:
>> I wonder if there are any guidelines / step by step / special
>> considerations whether it applies to database structure or the
>> application it self if we want to upgrade to version 8.xxx ?

> Depends on if your app depends on the (hidden) OID fields that were
> included by default before 8.0.

That's just one of numerous minor incompatibilities. Read the release
notes and test your applications --- but by all means fix whatever
application issues you need to fix, and get moved over. 8.1 is way
better than 7.4 by any number of measures; even more to the point, we
won't be supporting 7.4 forever.