Re: TCL fix in HEAD

From: "Marshall, Steve" <smarshall(at)wsi(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TCL fix in HEAD
Date: 2007-09-28 21:59:13
Lists: pgsql-patches

>The recent TCL patch assumed Tcl_NotifierProcs.initNotifierProc
>was added in TCL 8.2:
>In fact it was added in 8.4 so I have modified the CVS with
>the following patch.

I confirmed this against the 8.2.5 release. Sorry I did not notice that
when I initially created the patch.

While the patch will not work for the earlier releases, it should be
noted that the multithhreading problem still exists when linking
postgresql against TCL 8.2 and 8.3 libraries that are compiled with the
preprocessor symbol TCL_THREADS defined. Unfortunately, we cannot
override the initNotifier behavior in those releases, so we don't have a
workable solution.

This is probably not a big problem, since TCL was not commonly compiled
with multithreading enabled prior to 8.4. However, perhaps there should
be a warning in the documentation on PL/TCL directing users to avoid
linking postgresql against TCL libraries earlier than 8.4 that have
multithreading enabled?

Yours,
Steve Marshall