Whence libpgtcl.so ??

From: "Robert Wagner" <rwagner(at)siac(dot)com>
To: Christopher_Stewart(at)xopheria(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Whence libpgtcl.so ??
Date: 1999-09-02 14:12:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear Christopher

> Umm, you try loading libpgtcl.so into your new wish yet?

There is no file by the name libpgtcl.so on my system. Is there a place to
download it? In /usr/local/pgsql/lib there is libpgtcl.a, libpgtcl.sl and
libpgtcl.sl.2.

Do I just copy the file? Into what directory? I have TclPro 1.2. But no
instructions on how to add database support! I'd like to keep Postgress if
possible! But I can't, if it locks us into one shell, which must be
recompiled every time there is an update.

I'm shocked that it's necessary to recompile the shell just to talk to a
database. Are there no simpler alternatives, such as an extension? I've
tried jultaf pq, which purports to be an extension, but after downloading I
found that I needed to compile it! But it won't compile. All other
extensions I have tried, all I have to do is copy the directory into the
/opt/scriptics/TclPro1.2/lib directory and be done with it. It was always
simple.

This mess is left to me, because all the Unix consultants quit suddenly,
which makes this my first Unix assignment, after working on Windows and NT
since Window 3.0... and from what I've seen, the main difference is that
Unix programmers document NONE of the many tasks that need to be done to
integrate the pieces of a software system, but just "know".

Thanks
Rob