Re: logistics for beta3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: logistics for beta3
Date: 2010-07-05 15:01:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> - Someone will need to branch the tree after the wrap and stamp it
> 9.1devel.  Who is doing that?

Marc generally takes care of making branches.

> * bump catalog version for plpython3u change? Use RTLD_GLOBAL? -- I
> don't immediately know what the bit about RTLD_GLOBAL is referring to,
> and it's not obvious to me that anyone cares about the catversion
> issue enough to argue about it.  So maybe there's nothing to do here
> at all.  Anyhow, we should make a decision.

Peter was suggesting that if we *stopped* using RTLD_GLOBAL then it
might be possible to use plpython2 and plpython3 concurrently in one
backend.  After looking at the archives I'm not convinced that's
workable --- it sounds like not using RTLD_GLOBAL would have the effect
of breaking Python's extension scheme altogether.  But at any rate the
ball's in his court to make and test a concrete proposal if he wishes.

> * normalize use of LDFLAGS - I believe Tom is dealing with this.

Yeah, I hope to get that committed today.  Any later than today will not
leave enough time for buildfarm testing before the wrap.