Re: Two weeks to feature freeze

From: "Gonyou, Austin" <austin(at)coremetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Rod Taylor' <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, "Gonyou, Austin" <austin(at)coremetrics(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>, "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date: 2003-06-26 20:45:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-----Original Message-----
From: Rod Taylor [mailto:rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2003 3:33 PM
To: Gonyou, Austin
Cc: Thomas Swan; Nigel J. Andrews; Tom Lane; PostgreSQL Development

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 16:09, Gonyou, Austin wrote:
> DOH!. Yes....You're right I totally forgot about that. My apologies. I
> believe though, that there is a HP testing lab that is somewhat like OSDL,
> in that they offer OSS free services and many platforms to run on. (used
> be compaq's developer testdrive sort of program) I believe it still
exists.

>>I've been on Compaq's testdrive boxes before -- very nice. But I'm not
>>sure we want to use those for a testing platform.

Agreed, but the point was, there is a developer side where developers can
test their code for a longer period of time in a more lab-like environment,
much the same way as OSDL schedules their testing, etc, but you can try
stuff on Alpha and x86, run windows, solaris, Tru64, etc.

>>More to the point, if OSDL benchmarks keep coming along we should have a
>>variety of PostgreSQL benchmarks to choose from. Adding a regression
>>test for performance would be a wise thing to do, but will require
>>dedicated hardware for good numbers (especially if run nightly).

Understood and I concurr, I just didn't think about the testing scope of
OSDL.

>>Thomas had a good start in mind. Hopefully we can extend it a little
>>once it has been started.

I agree, just trying to offer something I thought was more valuable than it
may have been. :)