Re: Compiler warnings in psqloodbc 08.03.0200

From: "Adam M" <gnuman1(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compiler warnings in psqloodbc 08.03.0200
Date: 2008-10-02 23:52:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp> wrote:
>> Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
>> They may come from the strange handling of unixODBC's
>> 64bit ODBC. Honestly I don't understand how to use
>> 64-bit unixODBC correctly. Probably you can remove the
>> warnings by #defining BUILD_REAL_64_BIT_MODE somewhere.

BUILD_REAL_64_BIT_MODE must be defined on 64-bit architectures.
Compiling under 64-bit without this will creates messed up ABI driver
that is NOT ODBC64. If you look on msdn, ODBC64 definitions are
correct only if BUILD_REAL_64_BIT_MODE is defined.

In this mode, SQLLEN is 64-bit. SQLINTEGER is 32-bit.

If the BUILD_REAL_64_BIT_MODE is not defined, then SQLLEN is defined
to be SQLINTEGER which is incorrect for 64-bit ODBC.

Therefore, the only correct scenario is for PostgreSQL's ODBC driver
to work with unixODBC with the BUILD_REAL_64_BIT_MODE for 64-bit and
ignore the other stuff as it is incorrect.

- Adam

PS. On Debian, unixODBC's sqltypes.h has been modified by the
maintainer to include,

/*
* Failing to define this is *absolutely* broken on 64-bit archs, and we
* are setting it in the Debian build, so use of this ABI is mandatory.
* If you don't like it, go build your own non-64-bit-clean library instead.
* SRL 2006-03-04
*/
#ifndef BUILD_REAL_64_BIT_MODE
#define BUILD_REAL_64_BIT_MODE
#endif

I would just add a check that verifies that when sizeof(long) == 8,
that sizeof(SQLLEN) ==8 as well, otherwise the unixODBC install is not
according to ODBC64 specs.