Re: HELP FOR POSTGRESQL NEEDED...

From: Steve Howe <howe(at)carcass(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org, ozric tentacle <ozric02(at)yahoo(dot)gr>
Cc: pgsql-questions(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HELP FOR POSTGRESQL NEEDED...
Date: 2002-07-08 16:41:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello ozric,

Saturday, July 6, 2002, 9:22:44 AM, you wrote:

ot> Hello.I am experiencing a quite strange behavior with my
ot> postgreSQL database.

ot> I have edited the file pg_hba.conf like this:

ot> # TYPE DATABASE IP_ADDRESS MASK AUTH_TYPE AUTH_ARGUMENT
ot> local all password
ot> host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 password

ot> in order to require user authentication.This works perfectly when
ot> I connect to the database with psql or pgaccess and I'm able to
ot> perform

ot> all kinds of queries.

ot> However when I try to connect to the database with C++ even though
ot> it allows me to connect (providing the correct username &
ot> password)

ot> all the queries fail...The C++ code I use is the following:

Did you start the postmaster with -i parameter so that it allows
TCP/IP connections ?
Run a nmap localhost command to check if your 5432 port is open. If
PostgreSQL is running and accepting connections, it should be listed
as open.
Psql will connect through unix sockets, not as TCP sockets.

Best regards,
Steve Howe mailto:howe(at)carcass(dot)dhs(dot)org