Re: system view corrupted, i get "unexpected right parenthesis" for many system tables.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Ford <firefighterblu3(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: system view corrupted, i get "unexpected right parenthesis" for many system tables.
Date: 2006-01-09 21:37:58
Lists: pgsql-sql

David Ford <firefighterblu3(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> i've tried with and without the hier patch and neither seems to work.

I was afraid of that: you've got some views created with the patch
installed and some with it not installed.

> i have a few options left to try but i might be reduced to stitching together
> COPYs and system tables from an older backup.

It should be possible to manually correct the bogus entries. Basically
what the patch does is add a field to the QUERY structure, whose name I
forget but comparing working and non-working ev_action strings should
expose it. (It's probably near the end of the string.) If you delete
the field (text ":fieldname <> ") from the non-working ev_action strings
you should be able to get to a state where all the views will dump in a
non-hier build.