Re: update one table with another

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Matthew Pugsley <matthew(dot)pugsley(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: update one table with another
Date: 2009-04-20 23:12:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Apr 20, 2009, at 10:34 PM, Matthew Pugsley wrote:

> I've solved it.
>
> I just used a subselect. Worked very quickly. I had a lot of trouble
> with subqueries when I first started databases with MySQL. So I have
> been afraid of them.
>
> update entities
> set customer_status = select(customer_status from
> entity_dimension_update where entities.entity_id =
> entity_dimension_update.entity_id);

What a peculiar way to write a subquery, with the braces like that.
Normally you'd put the opening brace before the select statement, not
after it.

> Worked almost instantly.

Alternatively you could use UPDATE...FROM:

update entities
set customer_status = t2.customer_status
from entity_dimension_update as t2
where entity_id = t2.entity_id

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,49ed0151129747011493647!