Re: do we EXEC_BACKEND on Mac OS X?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: do we EXEC_BACKEND on Mac OS X?
Date: 2012-10-03 16:26:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> See the CAVEATS here:
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man2/fork.2.html

> Apparently fork() without exec() isn't all that well supported.

This doesn't say fork() doesn't work. It says that Apple's framework
libraries aren't meant to work in a forked subprocess --- but we don't
use those.

> Noticed while perusing
> http://lwn.net/Articles/518306/

I'm afraid Brian was just looking for an excuse to dump on Apple. We
have a lot of years of Postgres experience showing that fork() works
fine on OS X.