Re: Drop multiple roles

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Julien <julien(at)sgme(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Drop multiple roles
Date: 2011-09-13 17:17:23
Lists: pgsql-novice

Julien <julien(at)sgme(dot)com> writes:
> I would like to drop multiple roles via SQL.

> I can figure how to list my specific roles with a select on pg_roles
> but deleting these roles from pg_roles is probably not a good
> solution.

It would be safe if and only if you're entirely certain that the roles
own no objects and have no privileges granted anywhere. But I wouldn't
risk it anyway --- for example, if you do it like that, you have no
protection against accidentally deleting all your superuser roles.

> Is there any clean way to do this with SQL or do I have to make a script ?

You need a script ... but keep in mind that in 9.0 and up, there's the
DO command, which allows an anonymous script. So, something like
(untested)

do $$
declare rolename text;
begin
for rolename in select rolname from pg_roles where ...
loop
execute 'DROP ROLE ' || quote_identifier(rolename);
end loop;
end $$;