Re: Let's create a release team

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Let's create a release team
Date: 2002-12-09 16:38:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

"Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org> writes:
> Let's create a release team. This strategy is one well established
> in other projects and in industry. For lack of a better starting
> reference, let me suggest http://www.freebsd.org/releng/charter.html
> as a starting point for consideration. See also
> http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html.

> This will also lighten the load on the core team allowing them to
> focus on development and such.

I don't really see any value-added here. The core committee's only
routinely-exercised function is to organize releases; separating that
out would leave core with nothing to do. Also, to the extent that
core has any real or perceived authority in the project, I think it
comes from having control of the release process --- there's surely
no other reason for people to defer to the core team as a group (as
opposed to whatever respect might be accorded to individual people
as a result of their individual contributions). So ISTM such a
reorganization would leave the core committee as a figurehead and make
the release team into the effective new core.