Re: [HACKERS] UnixWare/CVS Tip/initdb.c needs to use

From: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] UnixWare/CVS Tip/initdb.c needs to use
Date: 2004-03-19 15:47:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

--On Friday, March 19, 2004 09:18:03 -0600 Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
wrote:

> --On Friday, March 19, 2004 10:15:56 -0500 Bruce Momjian
> <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>>> [moved to -patches because of the patch]
>>>

>>> --On Friday, March 19, 2004 08:01:53 -0500 Bruce Momjian

>>> Apparently, because of the way the wrappers work, having -lpthread on
>>> libpq.so does NOT add it to the NEEDED list.
>>>
>>> I made the following patch, and all compiles now:
>>
>> Yes, I was afraid of that. Is there any way to make it work? If not,
>> evey libpq program you create will need -lpthread added.
> I think we need to mention if you --enable-thread-safety you MUST use
> -lpthread on UnixWare, at least. I don't know about other platforms.
>
> I'll ask the compiler guys, but I suspect we're going to have to do it
> this way.

From the Compiler Guys:

The a.out (not any library) should be linked with -Kpthread (not
-lpthread).
This will force libthread to be linked in the right order relative to
libc, libC, networking libraries, etc.

In other words, the entire application either is or is not linked with
threads; it's not a property of an individual library.

SO, IF we are using the threads flags, we need to use them on ALL
libpq-using programs, ours or the users.

Not surprising.

LER

--
Larry Rosenman http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 E-Mail: ler(at)lerctr(dot)org