Re: /usr/local/{include,lib} on Cygwin

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: /usr/local/{include,lib} on Cygwin
Date: 2001-03-07 04:22:34
Lists: pgsql-ports

Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com> writes:
> I'm not a gcc expert, but from empirical evidence I was able to determine
> that Cygwin gcc seems to automatically search /usr/local/include and
> /usr/local/lib during compilation and linking, respectively.

I believe that the built-in search paths for gcc are a
configuration-time option, with (if hazy memory serves) defaults that
vary across platforms. However, /usr/local/include and .../lib are
certainly in those paths on *most* platforms. If Jason can attest that
they're in there in the standard Cygwin build of gcc, then I see no
reason to fear assuming that they're normally there for cygwin.

More generally, I don't see a reason for our makefiles to assume they
know better than the compiler does what the default paths should be.