Re: Can I change the character encoding for a DB?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can I change the character encoding for a DB?
Date: 2004-01-26 17:05:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> I created a DB with SQL_ASCII encoding but I want to change it to EUC_JP.
> Can I do this without creating a new database?

If you're certain that the data already in the database is in EUC_JP
encoding, it would probably work to do a quick UPDATE on the
pg_database.encoding entry for the database (and then start fresh
backend sessions, since they won't notice otherwise). If there's data in
there that is not correct per EUC_JP then this will create big problems,
so don't say I didn't warn you ...