Re: Direct XML interfaces to optimizer and even executor?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther(at)aurora(dot)regenstrief(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Direct XML interfaces to optimizer and even executor?
Date: 2002-05-30 22:38:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Gunther Schadow <gunther(at)aurora(dot)regenstrief(dot)org> writes:
> - Sending a parse tree in XML for processing by the optimizer.
> - Sending an execution plan in XML directly to the executor.

Supporting this would imply freezing our internal representations of
parse and plan trees (maybe we could move some bits around a little,
but we couldn't make large changes without breaking the XML API).
Like Alex, I don't see any gain that's likely to be worth that price;
especially not when there are so many things I'm unhappy about in both
representations. There are TODO items to revamp both representations
in major ways.