Re: Please test peer (socket ident) auth on *BSD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Please test peer (socket ident) auth on *BSD
Date: 2011-05-31 21:22:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> Oh yes, no point in having complicated code that doesn't get exercised.

> This does amount to desupporting old versions of those OSes in newer
> versions of Postgres, at least for this one feature. Since you're
> saying you don't want to backport it that doesn't seem like a big deal
> to me. Probably something worth mentioning in release notes though.

Yeah, possibly. So far as I can tell, both FreeBSD and OpenBSD have had
getpeereid for so long that it couldn't be an issue. I guess there
might still be some people running pre-5.0 versions of NetBSD though.

(BTW, in both FreeBSD and NetBSD, it turns out that getpeereid is just a
thin wrapper around SO_PEERCRED-equivalent getsockopt calls. However,
there doesn't seem to be any point in supporting NetBSD's getsockopt
call directly, because it was added at the same time as the getpeereid
function. Unless maybe there's a kFreeBSD-like project out there with
NetBSD as the kernel?)