Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Command tags in create/drop scripts
Date: 2007-06-02 05:24:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, I don't think rolling up the miscellaneous commands into a single
> binary with behaviour dependent on arg[0] is a bad idea.

I don't think that responds to Zdenek's complaint though.  He's unhappy
about polluting /usr/bin with commands like "createuser" --- which is
not an unreasonable gripe.  AFAICS it doesn't help if "createuser"
is a link to a single executable rather than a file of its own.

But in the light of backwards-compatibility requirements, I can't see us
removing "createuser" from the distribution ... not in 8.4, nor several
releases thereafter.

Sun's certainly free to not ship createuser in their packaging of PG,
and see what sort of push-back they get.