Re: what to do with backend flowchart

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what to do with backend flowchart
Date: 2005-03-20 18:24:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> I'm currently working on consolidating some of the content on the developer
> site with the current web code cvs and am wondering what to do with
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/pgsql/src/tools/backend/index.html.
> This link actually comes right out of the postgresql sources, but it is
> actually quite a bit out of date at this point.

At the level of detail that that's giving, it's not all that out of
date; though I agree that it could probably do with a lookthrough.

> know that it doesn't match reality at this point. We could have someone
> update it and then generate it out of cvs onto the website, but it really
> seems like the kind of thing that should live in the web code rather than
> core cvs anyway. I'm willing to import it all into the web cvs, and send a
> patch removing it from the core cvs if no one objects, lmk.

If your objection is that it's not being maintained, then that is no
solution. Once it's out of the source code CVS it is *guaranteed* to
not get updated to track source-code changes.