Re: Proposal: More portable way to support 64bit platforms

From: Tsutomu Yamada <tsutomu(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tsutomu Yamada <tsutomu(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Proposal: More portable way to support 64bit platforms
Date: 2009-06-29 10:52:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On Friday 26 June 2009 12:07:24 Tsutomu Yamada wrote:
> > Proposal: More portable way to support 64bit platforms
> >
> > Short description:
> >
> > Current PostgreSQL implementation has some portability issues to
> > support 64bit platforms: pointer calculations using long is not
> > portable, for example on Windows x64 platform. We propose to use
> > intptr_t instead of long, which appears in in C99.
>
> This makes sense. You can also review the archives for previous iterations of
> this discussion (search for "intptr_t").

Yes, I have read through the discusion but it seems somewhat faded
out. This is because no platform other than Windows has 64bit
pointer issues IMO. I think using intptr_t is cleaner and will bring
more portability. Moreover it will solve Windows 64bit pointer issues,
I believe.

> You might want to add your patch to the next commit fest.

Yes, I would like to submit patches for the next commit fest.

--
Tsutomu Yamada
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan