Re: Update on true serializable techniques in MVCC

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
To: Florian Pflug <fgp(dot)phlo(dot)org(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Nicolas Barbier <nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Update on true serializable techniques in MVCC
Date: 2009-12-18 15:42:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Florian Pflug:

> On 16.12.09 16:40 , Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Nicolas Barbier<nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am not sure whether the serialization failures that it may cause
>>> are dependent on the plan used.
>>
>> They are.
>
> But so are failures due to deadlocks even today, no?

They are detected. In this context, "serialization failure" means
that PostgreSQL generates a history which lacks one-copy
serializability, without reporting any errors. (In the general case,
the unique constraint violation which bugs me personally is a
different beast and does result in an error.)

--
Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH http://www.bfk.de/