Re: MySQL Con 2008

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy List <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL Con 2008
Date: 2007-12-11 23:04:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Devrim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=DCND=DCZ?= <devrim(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 14:06 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> My understanding is they do accept patches from the community

> I don't think so. Maybe Tom knows something about that -- he's applying
> some patches to Red Hat's MySQL which are not in upstream.

I've sent patches upstream by filing bugs in their bugzilla with
suggested fixes, and AFAIR they've adopted them (or some other fix)
... eventually.  They've not been amazingly responsive.  The patches I'm
still carrying are for things that I think they won't care to fix ---
either because they're obsoleting the code, such as their local copy of
bdb, or because it addresses Red-Hat-specific issues.  It's not worth
my time to try to get them to adopt such stuff.

None of those patches have been large enough that anyone would think
there was an interesting intellectual-property issue in them.  I don't
know what would happen if someone sent a large patch ... maybe they ask
for a copyright assignment?