Re: [GENERAL] vacuuming

From: James Olin Oden <joden(at)Lee(dot)k12(dot)nc(dot)us>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] vacuuming
Date: 1998-06-29 12:29:23
Lists: pgsql-general

> Is it common practice to setup a cron job to vacuum your databases
> nightly? Do you just do something like:
>
> psql my_db < vacuum
>
> in cron? I was reading about administration and it talked about how
> vacuuming is such a good idea and all.
>
> If i am going to cron vacuum, is there anything else I should be doing, or
> is just "psql my_db < vacuum" all that needs done on a nightly basis.

Brian,

you might try adding a something to the shell script that you are kicking off
with cron a dump of your databases. After you dump them, then you could also
push them to another machine on your network, or if a tape is in the tape drive,
write them to tape.

That's just good old UNIX admin advice; I hope its helpful...james