Re: win1252 to UTF8

From: "SQLAdmin" <SQLAdmin(at)cromwell(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Maurício Cruz <cruz(at)sygecom(dot)com(dot)br>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win1252 to UTF8
Date: 2011-12-22 07:54:30
Lists: pgsql-admin
-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Maurício Cruz
Sent: 21 December 2011 21:08
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [ADMIN] win1252 to UTF8

Hi all,

I need to convert my database from codification WIN1252  to UTF8,
I've try to use pg_dump -U postgres -h 192.168.0.192 -E UTF8 -v -F p -f
bkp.sql database
but I have to following erro:
pg_dump: SQL command failed
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERRO:  caracter 0x8d da codificação
"WIN1252" não tem equivalente em "UTF8"
  ( translation:   pg_dump: Error message from server: ERRO:  caracter
0x8d of codification "WIN1252" don't have equivalent in "UTF8"  )

also I tryed  to run pg_dump  converting to codification  LATIN1 but
then I have the follow erro:
pg_dump: invalid client encoding "LATIN1" specified

may be I could bring a dump file in LATIN1 and then user iconve to
convert into UTF8 ...  but I fail!

is there a good soul to help me out in this matter ??

Thanks a lot every one.

Have you tried dumping using "--inserts"? this should remove the UTF8 problems in most cases.

Cheers

This email is intended for the named recipient. The information contained
in it is confidential.  You should not copy it for any purposes, nor
disclose its contents to any other party.  If you received this email
in error, please notify the sender immediately via email, and delete it from
your computer.

necessarily represent those of the company.

PCI Compliancy: Please note, we do not send or wish to receive banking, credit
or debit card information by email or any other form of communication.

Please try our new on-line ordering system at http://www.cromwell.co.uk/ice

Cromwell Tools Limited, PO Box 14, 65 Chartwell Drive
Wigston, Leicester LE18 1AT. Tel 0116 2888000
Registered in England and Wales, Reg No 00986161
VAT GB 115 5713 87 900