Re: WAL files backup

From: "Chad Wagner" <chad(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pedro noticioso" <cucnews(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL files backup
Date: 2007-02-18 14:57:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 2/18/07, pedro noticioso <cucnews(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> -rw------- 1 postgres staff 234 2007-02-16 10:12
> 000000010000000000000003
> -rw------- 1 postgres staff 234 2007-02-16 10:12
> 000000010000000000000004
> -rw------- 1 postgres staff 234 2007-02-16 10:12
> 000000010000000000000005.0024FD70.backup

Are these files 234 bytes long? Also, where is the 05 logfile? Can you
post your archive_command?

> LOG: could not read from log file 0, segment 5 at
> offset 2416640: No such file or directory

This is because your archived logs are partial, it is expecting to read
XLOG_BLCKSZ and it had a partial read. Clearly you are doing something
wrong, but there just isn't enough information.

I wrote an article about performing a hot backup with a Perl script that I
wrote called pg_hotbackup (available on pgfoundry), you can look at it here:
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/wiki/Backup_%26_Recovery

But you must follow the PostgreSQL documentation for setting up the
archive_command, which is more or less this:
archive_command = 'cp -i %p /var/lib/pgsql/backups/%f
</dev/null'

Also documented on that page is the recovery procedure. It is all based on
the PostgreSQL documentation and has worked fine in my testing.

--
Chad
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/