Re: Moving an existing database from an old version?

From: "Chad Wagner" <chad(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: howard(at)yankeescientific(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving an existing database from an old version?
Date: 2007-01-13 00:09:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 1/12/07, Howard Eglowstein <howard(at)yankeescientific(dot)com> wrote:

> What I want to do is simply transplant the existing application onto the
> new database. I'd be happy to simply copy the files over and hack the
> .conf files appropriately, or if it's better, can I use PG_DUMP to
> somehoe backup the old data and restore it to the new installation?

You are going to need to dump and restore the database(s). The data files
are likely incompatible if you are jumping between releases, unless it is a
maintenance release (e.g. 8.2.0 to 8.2.1, but you should refer to the
release notes to be sure).

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/install-upgrading.html

In any event, test, test, test. :)

--