Re: Segfaults and assertion failures with not too extraordinary views and queries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Phil Frost <phil(at)macprofessionals(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Segfaults and assertion failures with not too extraordinary views and queries
Date: 2007-02-14 22:49:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Phil Frost <phil(at)macprofessionals(dot)com> writes:
> I have been attempting to migrate my application from 8.1 to 8.2.3.
> In doing so, I found some queries would always cause the postgres
> backend to die with a segfault. I was advised to rebuild with --
> enable-debug --enable-cassert, and so I did. The same query would now
> cause an assertion failure instead of segfaulting.

Hm, I see the assert failure, but this example doesn't seem to crash
when asserts are off, and I'd not expect it to: it should either work or
elog(ERROR) in ExecRestrPos. So maybe you've found more than one issue.
Can you get a stack trace from a case that causes a non-assert core
dump? (You don't need to rebuild, just set debug_assertions = 0 while
testing.)