Re: Error raised whilst running Postgres as a service (W

From: Nick Stone <nick(dot)stone(at)digitalvision(dot)com>
To: 'Jason Tishler' <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error raised whilst running Postgres as a service (W
Date: 2003-09-05 08:31:09
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Jason,

Thanks that fixed it.

Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Tishler [mailto:jason(at)tishler(dot)net]
Sent: 04 September 2003 14:03
To: Nick Stone
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CYGWIN] Error raised whilst running Postgres as a service
(Win2000 Pro)

Nick,

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:29:02PM +0100, Nick Stone wrote:
> > IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(key=5432001, size=1499136, 03600) failed:
> > Not enough core
> >
> > This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared
> > memory segment exceeded available memory or swap space.
> > [snip]
>
> I realise that to some extent the answer may lie in the error message
> but I have read other threads about Win 2003 and I wanted to make sure
> that I wasn't going down the wrong route by trying to adjust the
> parameters listed.

Adjusting the above parameter will have no affect under Cygwin.

> Also could somebody explain why I get the error message as a service
> but not when postmaster is run as a separte program?

AFAICT, the solution is in the README's issues section:

2. It is recommended to delete all cygipc temporary files
(/tmp/cygipc* and /tmp/MultiFile*) before starting postmaster under
a different user account. Otherwise, postmaster will fail to start
due to IPC errors. Note cygipc 2.x automatically removes these
files during normal shutdown so this issue has been essentially
obviated.

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

http://www.messagelabs.com