Re: float output precision questions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Pedro M(dot) Ferreira" <pfrazao(at)ualg(dot)pt>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>,Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: float output precision questions
Date: 2002-10-31 17:58:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Pedro M. Ferreira" <pfrazao(at)ualg(dot)pt> writes:
> Have two parameters, say DOUBLE_OUTPUT and EXTRA_DIGITS. DOUBLE_OUTPUT
> would select from decimal output or normalized output. EXTRA_DIGITS
> would add the required extra digits, from 0 (default) to 3,  when output
> is decimal.

I'm not happy with adding the hex-output option, since it's not
very portable and doesn't seem necessary to solve the problem anyway.

But I think an EXTRA_DIGITS setting might be interesting.  In
particular, suppose we allowed EXTRA_DIGITS to be negative?  Setting
it to -1 or -2 would go a long way towards eliminating our problems
with platform variations in the geometry regression test.

Perhaps something like

extra_float_digits	int	range -2 to 2, default 0

extra_float_digits adjusts the number of digits displayed for float4 and
float8 output; the base value of 0 means we output FLT_DIG or DBL_DIG
digits respectively.

Per discussion, there's no reason to allow a value greater than 2, but
I'm not as sure what the lower limit should be --- maybe there's some
use in setting it less than -2?