Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-24 05:47:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org> writes:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>> So what I'm holding out for is a design that lets me continue to see the
>> current behavior if I set a GUC variable that says that's what I want.

> Wouldn't the upper case identifiers just be visible in the \d output,
> table headers and such.

Exactly ... and that's where my readability complaint starts ...

> First I thought that one can store the string with case all the time, and
> just convert when needed (when comparing identifiers).

People keep suggesting these random not-quite-standard behaviors, but
I fail to see the point. Are you arguing for exact standards
compliance, or not? If you're not, then you have to make your case on
the claim that "my nonstandard behavior is better than the existing
nonstandard behavior". Which might be true, beauty being in the eye of
the beholder, but I doubt you can prove it to the extent of overriding
the backwards-compatibility issue.