Re: blatantly a bug in the documentation

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Cc: "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: blatantly a bug in the documentation
Date: 2008-11-25 20:56:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Le 25 nov. 08 à 20:29, Ron Mayer a écrit :
> psql=# install module sampledb;
> Downloading sampledb from pgfoundry...
> Installing sampledb....
> Connecting to sampledb....
> sampledb=#

This could be part of an installer for PostgreSQL extensions. See
following email for a proposal on how to deal with extension packaging:
   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg01098.php

The proposal purposefully let fetching and building steps out of the
database manager itself, and makes it so that building is to be cared
about by distributors. So it would be something like:
   create sampledb
   pg_pkg fetch pgsampledb

and either
   pg_pkg install pgsampledb sampledb
   psql sampledb
or
   psql sampledb
   sampledb=# install package pgsampledb;

> it'd remove the need for pre-installing a rarely-needed ad-on,
> as well as being useful for other projects.  For exmaple:
>  psql=# install module US_Census_Tiger_Maps;
>  Installing dependency Postgis...
>  Installing module US_Census_Tiger_Maps....
> to install a GIS system with all the road networks.

The dependancy system is yet to be though about, but definitely in the
scope of the extension manager.

While at it, calling all those things extensions rather than package
would probably help not confusing people with Oracle compatibility
etc. Last time I checked I didn't find mention of "package" into the
standard, but still.

So PosgtreSQL could have an extension manager at SQL level (create or
replace extension, install extension, or maybe load extension (which
would LOAD the modules associated), etc) with a system command line
tool to fetch & build, etc (pg_ext ?) that source level users and
packagers (distributors) would use?

What do you dear readers think about the "extension" vocabulary?

Regards,
- --
dim