Re: JDBC broken connection against Postgres 8.4

From: Michael Bell <mikebell90(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: jerome moliere <jerome(dot)moliere(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JDBC broken connection against Postgres 8.4
Date: 2009-08-18 16:21:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Probably, but I'm hesistant to for several reasons

1. End users will cry. :) This is part of commercial product. Of course they cry more if current condition is there, so that's kind of lame argument.,
2. I don't know TCP tuning much, but it seems to me your suggestion is a very good one if the code I posted was typical of usage. It isn't - it was just an easy way to expose the issue. Typical usage is with a Connection pool, initially set to 5 connections. And I'm getting issues with my single box test, which is hardly a load. Since in this scenario the JDBC Connections are pooled and stick around "forever" (or at least a long time w/o network issues/timeouts), I wouldn't think TIME-WAIT is relevant, right? That's only relevant to opening and tearing down tcp connections in rapid succession (eg like in my loop). Or am I showing the limits of my tcpip knowledge?

For now I'm' going to try to figure out the wire trace issues.

Keep in mind this is not just me :) . On this list back in Feb, some one had the exact same issue. And about a year ago a possibly similar issue (it was blocking on input indefinitely in the same code area, which is worse really)

Does anyone really know of some one who has tested this driver/server combo highly on Windows ?