startup subprocess hangs

From: "Andrew Janian" <ajanian(at)scottrade(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: startup subprocess hangs
Date: 2005-06-17 20:21:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am running Postgres 7.4.5 and I have recently run into a problem. My
database was running fine for days and then today in the middle of the
day it seems that the startup subprocess kicked in and started
recovering. I am not sure from what, and I am not sure how it started,
but nothing was allowed to connect and it has been running for quite
some time (30 minutes). The process said it was starting to recover,
but how long am I to wait?

Is there a way to get the status?

Can I just skip the recovery and get it going?

The environment is RH EL 3 2.4.21-4.ELsmp, with and EMC SAN for storage
and QLogix cards for fibre access.

Thanks,

Andrew