"txn" in pg_stat_activity

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: "txn" in pg_stat_activity
Date: 2007-09-11 01:04:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have just noticed that a column "txn_start" has appeared in
pg_stat_activity since 8.2. It's a good idea, but who chose the name?
We do not use that abbreviation for "transaction" anywhere else in
Postgres, certainly not in any user-exposed places.

I'm inclined to rename it to "xact_start", which is an abbreviation
that we *do* use in the code, and in some user-visible places, eg,
pg_stat_database has "xact_commit" and "xact_rollback" columns.

Other suggestions? If we don't change it before 8.3 beta starts,
we'll be stuck with it ...