Re: BUG #5116: could not determine encoding for locale

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nikolai Wendorf" <nikolaiw(at)embarqmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5116: could not determine encoding for locale
Date: 2009-10-14 22:49:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Nikolai Wendorf" <nikolaiw(at)embarqmail(dot)com> writes:
> Operating system:   Solaris 9

> WARNING:  could not determine encoding for locale "en_US.ISO8859-1": codeset
> is "646"

Well, that's truly stupid :-(.  The only plausible referent for 646
that I've heard of is ISO/IEC 646
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_646
which arguably could describe *any* single-byte ASCII superset.
It's certainly pretty awful as a descriptor of what I suppose is
really ISO 8859-1.

I'd suggest filing a bug with Sun suggesting that they ought to return
something less ambiguous for nl_langinfo(CODESET) in this locale.

Meanwhile, the warning isn't really hurting anything, it's just letting
you know that Postgres isn't sure whether your locale and encoding
settings match.  As long as you don't tell it to use something besides
the LATIN1 encoding in this locale, everything will work fine.