Re: Migrating from 32 to 64 bit

From: "Medi Montaseri" <montaseri(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hannes Dorbath" <light(at)theendofthetunnel(dot)de>
Cc: "Laurent CARON" <lcaron(at)lncsa(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migrating from 32 to 64 bit
Date: 2007-11-26 05:24:15
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

But theoretically speaking, 32 or 64-bit ness of the application (ie the
postmaster server) should not influence the data types offered by a
particular DB version. That is the semantics of data types and cpu-arch
(register width, big endian, little endian, sparc, mips, x86), etc ) offered
by a particular DB version should be orthogonal.

A practical example is when I first begin my business on a Mac, then I move
the database to a Sun and then on to a mainframe....

Cheers
Medi