Re: What bison versions are installed on buildfarm machines?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What bison versions are installed on buildfarm machines?
Date: 2006-01-02 19:12:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Not that hard to believe. 2.5.4 is what the major distributions are
> shipping.
> Even FC4 comes with 2.5.4a. The only reason I can see for this is that Flex
> is now considered a NON-GNU project.

No, the major reason for it is that flex 2.5.31 is seriously broken and
non-compatible with its prior releases. I wasn't aware that they'd gone
so far as to remove a documented macro (one that was documented in 2.5.4
as the *preferred* way to do things, mind you) but we already knew of
several other issues with it. See the archives.

I'll try to snarf a copy and see if there's a way to do it that's
compatible with both releases, but it's the flex authors' own fault
that 2.5.31 has had such poor uptake.