Re: Fwd: 8.0 Beta3 worked, RC1 didn't!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, nico(at)def2shoot(dot)com
Subject: Re: Fwd: 8.0 Beta3 worked, RC1 didn't!
Date: 2004-12-28 16:19:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> What if we malloc 100k just before we create the postmaster segment and
> then free it and see if that fixes the postgres.exe problem?

That was suggested already. As a permanent fix it's certainly
unspeakably ugly, but it would be useful to try it just to prove
(or disprove) that we understand the problem.

It would probably be a good idea to make the padding at least 256K,
since the numbers that have been tossed around seem to indicate that
Windows may be aligning things on 128K boundaries.

My inclination for a permanent fix would be to try to do the shmat()
much earlier, but I don't think we should go to the effort of doing
that code rearrangement until we've proven that this is indeed the
issue.