Re: TimeZone List

From: "Stuart Cooper" <stuart(dot)cooper(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Naz Gassiep" <naz(at)mira(dot)net>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TimeZone List
Date: 2007-05-30 02:50:46
Lists: pgsql-general

> No, you can't. The reason there is no "nonvolatile" list of timezones
> is that timezones are subject to the whims of politicians, who can and
> do change them at the drop of a hat. Read the historical comments in
> the zic source files sometime...

It used to be that "fully one third of timezones in Postgres are for Australia"
(according to some Postgres documentation I read in 2003 in the
old seperate Thomas Lockhart manuals)

Under this metric
select name from pg_timezone_names where name like 'Aus%';

we're only 23 out of 557.

I think we still have the most number of different timezones though,
we throw in some
odd half-hour difference ones and we have a couple of offshore islands
in all kinds
of places.

We certainly punch above our weight in world affairs when it comes to Timezones.

Also we're responsible for more of Antarctica than any other country.

Stuart.
Sydney, Australia.